No Problem. You Have Options
(even if your bonds haven’t met the minimum 1-year holding period)


My Electronic Bonds Are Held in TreasuryDirect.

  1. Log in to your account.
  2. Request a redemption of one or all of your savings bonds.

What if My Bonds Are Less Than 1 Year Old?

  • Send us an e-mail from inside your account using the Contact Us link found in the upper right hand corner of the page. Explain why you're asking to redeem the bond and tell us which bonds you want redeemed. If you have more than one bank listed in your account, you need to tell us where to send the payment.

My Paper Bonds Are Undamaged but, I Need the Money Now.

  1. Visit your local bank. This is the quickest way to get your cash.
  2. Read our instructions on cashing savings bonds.

What if My Bonds Are Less Than 1 Year Old?

  • Most banks in federally declared disaster areas are prepared to waive the 1-year minimum holding period.

Help! My Bonds Are Lost, Illegible, or Contaminated.

  1. Download FS Form 1048 or call Treasury Retail Securities at 844-284-2676.
  2. Complete part 1 -  Description of Bonds. Include as much information as possible, including names, Social Security Numbers, and serial numbers on the bonds; issue dates; and dollar amounts.
  3. Complete part 5 - Relief Requested (Payment by Direct Deposit).
  4. Complete part 7 - Signatures and Certifications. Please be sure to get all the signatures you need and have them certified. Instructions are on the form.
  5. Write "Disaster" on the top of the form's first page and on the front of the envelope.
  6. Mail the form, without the savings bonds, to:

    For Series HH:
    Treasury Retail Securities Services
    PO Box 2186
    Minneapolis, MN 55480-2186

    For Series EE or Series I:
    Treasury Retail Securities Services
    PO Box 214
    Minneapolis, MN 55480-0214

  7. Destroy your old savings bonds only after they are paid. They will no longer be valid.

What if My Bonds Are Less Than 1 Year Old?

  • Simply follow the steps above, being sure to write "Disaster" on the form.

Disaster icon